As tuitions skyrocket and as colleges become more specialized, the importance of college planning has never been greater. Get In! is the perfect guide to the college search: its pages are filled with strategies, tips, and insights vital to making the most of college planning. Dr. Lisa Ransdell speaks with authority and passion and her advice is totally on point. Steven Antonoff, Ph.D., CEP, Author of College Match and The College Finder; former Dean of Admissions, University of Denver.
Lisa Ransdell cuts a clear, straightforward path through the thicket of information, terminology, and choices facing students and families making the Great College Decision. Her own long experience as a college-level teacher and administrator commands trust, and her accessible “voice” makes reading this book feel like talking with a very informed friend. I wish all the students and families I’ve met in thirty-six years of professorhood could have a copy–and I dearly wish I’d had one when I was seventeen! Gail B. Griffin, Distinguished Professor, Kalamazoo College.
Get In! by Lisa Ransdell is a refreshing, wise, well-written, sensible college guide. Ransdell blows away common fears of students and parents by giving accurate information culled from her long experience as a faculty member and administrator. She knows the territory, and writes about it in a conversational tone that makes her readers feel connected to her. The book is chockfull of down-to-earth advice. It is well-organized, easy to read, full of humor. Lisa Ransdell’s warmth and empathy for students and their parents comes through, and she succeeds in making the college search less daunting. Her guide is spot on. It demystifies the admission process, and is a must-have tool in the college search. Michele Tolela Myers, President Emerita, Sarah Lawrence College.
LAYING THE GROUNDWORK FOR COLLEGE SUCCESS
- Is College for Everyone?
- Early Skills to Cultivate For Later College Success
- College Planning, Starting In Middle School
THE LANDSCAPE OF HIGHER EDUCATION TODAY
- Number and Types of U.S. Colleges
- Universities: Are They Superior To Colleges?
- Institutional Selectivity
- Schools With A Specialized Focus
BUILDING A GREAT COLLEGE LIST
- A Tried and True List-Building Process
- School Characteristics That Can Shape Your List
MANAGING THE APPLICATION PROCESS
- Elements of a College Application
- Timeline for Managing College Applications
- Application Deadlines, Early Decision, and Early Action
- How Many Applications?
- Managing Application Outcomes: Making A Decision
WOWING YOUR DREAM SCHOOLS WITH YOUR PROFILE AND ACCOMPLISHMENTS
- High School Grade Point Average
- Rigor of Curriculum
- Class Rank
- ACT/SAT Test Scores
- Extracurricular Activities
- What If You Don’t Measure Up?
WOOING YOUR DREAM SCHOOLS WITH YOUR PERSONALITY AND CHARACTER
- Application Essays
- Application Interviews
- Letters of Recommendation
UNDERSTANDING THE NEW WORLD OF FINANCIAL AID
- Confronting Myths About College Affordability
- The Full Cost of College
- Determining Your Need and Applying For Aid
- Financial Aid As A Marketing Strategy
REDUCING THE COST OF COLLEGE
- Identifying Generous Colleges
- Judging Financial Aid Packages
- Appealing Aid Awards
- The Truth About Scholarships
- Other Ways To Contain College Costs
YOUR COLLEGE MAJOR
- Traditional and Non-Traditional Majors and Minors
- The Major Discovery Process
- The Worst College Majors (Not!)
- Tips For Getting The Most From A Degree Program
- Best Degrees For Graduate or Professional School
- Self-Designed Majors, Accelerated Degrees, and Other Options
UNIQUE ADVICE FOR UNIQUE STUDENT POPULATIONS
- Students of Color
- Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, and Transgendered Students
- International Students
- Students with Physical and/or Learning Disabilities
- Women, Men, and Campus Sexual Assault
ASSESSING THE TRUE VALUE OF A COLLEGE
- Rating the College Rankings
- Other, Better Ways of Comparing Schools
- What to Ask and Do During College Visits
- Programs That Increase a College’s Value
SOURCES OF HELP AND SUPPORT IN COLLEGE PLANNING
- High School Guidance Counselors
- Independent Educational Consultants(IECs)
- Websites And Organizations
MAKING A SUCCESSFUL TRANSITION TO COLLEGE
- College Support Efforts
- The Parent Role in Supporting Student Adjustment
- Student Habits That Ensure Success
- Why Explore A Gap Year Option?
BURIED COLLEGE GEMS: LESSER KNOWN SCHOOLS THAT ARE WORTH A LOOK
Now available at Tattered Cover bookstores in Denver and Highlands Ranch, CO, and from tatteredcover.com. Also available from Amazon.